World's Best Networks,
World's Most Affordable Rates.
How to Initiate a Phone Call Using a Data-Only eSIM
April 23, 2023
Many eSIM plans are focused on data only. However, this does not mean that you cannot make calls or send text messages. RedteaGO provides eSIM plans that allow you to stay connected with your loved ones while traveling. In this article, we will explain the basics of eSIM data plans and how to make a phone call with a data-only eSIM.
What is an eSIM? An eSIM is a SIM card embedded in your device’s hardware. It identifies you as a mobile subscriber and connects you to a carrier’s network digitally. Most devices manufactured after 2018 support eSIM technology, but this can vary depending on your carrier and device.
What is an eSIM plan? With an eSIM, you can download a digital plan, install it on your device, and connect to a mobile network in minutes. RedteaGO provides prepaid eSIM plans that come with preloaded data (e.g., 1GB, 3GB, 5GB) that you can use for a set time (e.g., 7 days, 15 days, 30 days). If you run low on data or your eSIM is close to expiring, many plans come with a top-up option so you can top up on the go. Some RedteaGO plans are data-only, while others have a call-and-text feature.
How to Make a Phone Call With a Data-Only eSIM If your eSIM is data-only, you can still make calls with it. Here are three ways to make a phone call with a data-only eSIM.
- Use an Internet-Based Calling App The easiest way to make a phone call with a data-only eSIM is with an internet-based calling app like Whatsapp, FaceTime, or Skype. These free services use VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) to place and receive calls over the internet. You don’t need to worry about roaming because they’ll use your eSIM data to connect.
- Call via Social Media You can also use your eSIM data to make calls over social media. Facebook’s Messenger app and Instagram DMs both have calling features. Once again, you’ll be limited by your contacts who also use the app, but this is an easy way to stay connected.
- Use Your Primary Number You can also use your primary SIM line for voice and text when you travel. However, this will use your home plan (not your eSIM data plan), and roaming fees may apply. It’s a good idea to first check in with your carrier about their roaming rates.
An eSIM makes it easy to stay connected when you travel.
Check out RedteaGO’s eSIM plans for your next trip!
RedteaGO gives customers the freedom to dynamically select mobile network services across the world. This allows you the ultimate convenience to buy pay-as-you-go data plans and freely switch among plans when traveling.
As Apple's official eSIM partner, RedteaGO has a solid team with 8 years of experience in eSIM technology. We are the most customer-centric eSIM brand, offering eSIMs for over 200 countries and regions worldwide.
Travel safe and travel smart with RedteaGO eSIM. Stay connected wherever you go and enjoy the convenience and reliability of our eSIM technology.
Getting Started With RedteaGO
- Download the RedteaGO (iOS | Android) APP or visit the RedteaGO website.
- Buy a destination eSIM.
- 1 click to activate eSIM.
- Turn on your eSIM upon arrival.
- Instantly connect to a local network.
You're all set to stay connected on the go without roaming fees! Browse our Discover+ global eSIM plans to find an eSIM package for your next trip.